Monday, August 31, 2015

Club Reports: Giraffe Disco, Red Lion Inn, Kam's, T-Bird (Champaign - Urbana)

During my trip to Chicago last week I was able to drive south two hours to my former college town of Champaign- Urbana, home to the University of Illinois.  The U of I, as it's called, has been in the news a lot lately and not in a good way.  The Chancellor recently resigned, the head football coach was just fired and worst of all, the school was named the Number One Party school in the nation by the Princeton Review!  Well, I guess that part isn't bad news!

My junior year I lived with three other room mates on the 15th floor of the Century 21 building in Champaign, previously the Champaign Hilton and currently the Tower At Third.
It was quite nice having a observation bar up on the 21st floor and down here in the lobby, the Giraffe Disco.
Across the street there were Hard Rock bands at the Red Lion Inn.
A few blocks away, frat bar Kam's was always jammed and today remains an institution!
A short walk across campus into Urbana was T-Birds, home to glasses of Olympia Beer for 30-cents!  I looked at flyers that were posted around the twin cities and could only find one EDM event.  So while it's always nostalgic to visit, I'm glad I don't live here!

No comments: