Monday, March 18, 2013

Club Reports: The Groove vs House of Blues

House of Blues in Downtown Disney West Side has long dominated Sunday night partying in Orlando.  B.B. Kings Blues Club attempted to take some of the action away last year but threw in the towel after a couple months.  We now have CityWalk trying to take HOB on with their own Service Industry Night on Sunday nights at The Groove!
Like HOB, it's an all EDM set on Sunday nights with opening DJ John Campisano (180 Grey Goose Lounge, Lattitudes, Red Coconut Club)!
TG never got particularly crowded last night but it was hardly empty either.
CityWalk needs to keep this going.  As we get into the summer tourist season I expect this to get consistently crowded on Sunday nights!
Lots of green too last night for St. Patrick's Day.
DJ Jimmy Joslin (Vixen Bar, Ember, 180 Grey Goose Lounge) taking over around 11:30pm!

 Spotted: David (Motion, Atlantic Dance Hall)

Spotted: Leroy (Universal Studios Orlando)

You can never go wrong with Go Go girls!
John Campisano posing for the Blog with his main squeeze.  Interestingly, when The Groove first opened in 1999, John was one of the original resident DJ's here.
Now over to Downtown Disney for the king of Sunday nights in O-Town, House of Blues!

DJ Richie Rich (The Beacham) spinning 100% House/Dance!
Everyone was not at Ultra in Miami this weekend!
The peeps want Techno!
Typical Sunday night with HOB packed to the rafters!
Awesome set of dance music by RR!
Taking over about 1am, DJ Magic Mike (Loft55, Vintage Lounge) and continuing the mostly House format!
You can never go wrong with Go Go girls!
And a good time was had by all!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

need specifics on music... ;)

what was Joslin playing in the groove? what was richie rich playing? etc.

any tracks you know by name?

Anonymous said...

House of Blues is nothing compared to Mannequins Dance Palace.

KingBob said...

Anon at 10:09am, I recognized many of the songs by all the DJ's but couldn't name you one of them. I guess I should take notes like I did at EDC. Oh, Magic Mike played a mashed version of Don't You Worry Child.

Anon at 1:38pm, I agree. But on many a Sunday night HOB was packed while Mannequins was pretty empty. That $0 admission charge draws them in!

Brian said...

one thing to remember Mannequins was the cash cow on the island back in the early to mid life of PI! Mannequins made more money then the rest of the Island!

Anonymous said...

Bring back Mannequins!

Ricky D. said...

I got to house of blues about 12:30 and MM was already spinning so I missed RR set. Need to get there early one night to hear him. MM played all EDM, mosly house with a little dub thrown in. As for specific songs, I have no clue. He never fails though. I just can't see TG competing with HOB. They have been a Sunday night staple forever. I will have to to to TG one Sunday just to see how that night is. When I do I will report back. I will get to HOB early this Sunday to listen to RR set and report back what I heard. I'll try to list songs if they are familiar to me.

KingBob said...

Thanks, Ricky D. Will look forward to your reports.