Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Inexplicable Rise of Dubstep

Last December I dropped into the downtown club Crooked Bayou and witnessed something I had never experienced before. The predominantly young crowd was dancing wildly to really weird electronic dance music. I asked the person next to me whether the DJ's name was Dublife? She went on to explain that Dublife was a local group that puts on events on a regular basis dedicated to music called Dubstep. It was the first I'd ever heard of it!

Back in the days of the Rave, the music was mostly about Trance. And we now see Trance and House and Dance are all making nice comebacks as people grow weary of Hip Hop. But the up and coming genre of electronic dance music is one that most people have never heard of and it's called Dubstep. I'd been planning to do this article ever since I saw the EDC line-up include a good number of Dubstep artists such as Skrillex, Datsik, Diplo and others. Sirius/XM's BPM has been playing Skrillex and Rusko. This past Saturday night when DJ Mickey Bono included some Dubstep at Bliss, I knew I had to rush this article forward!

What is Dubstep? I personally feel it's just a lot of noise. But it's creeping up everywhere from Britney Spears' last album to television show background effects. This video shows a guy making Dubstep sounds with his mouth! It's hilarious but it does a great job explaining the music shuffles and wobbler effects that make up Dubstep music:

This video from Datsik begins quietly but characteristic Dubstep begins at :55:

One more video, I'd call this Vocal Dubstep because I don't yet understand the various nuances, is a little easier on the brain. Notice how very young the followers (and the DJ's from Rusko) are:

Well there you have it. Be forewarned, this is becoming big and it's going to be creeping into your life. But now you'll recognize it for what it is and if anyone asks you if you know what Dubstep is, you can discuss it intelligently. Parents, you owe it to your children to talk about Dubstep with them before someone else does!
This may become your children's electronic dance music! Break out the Ecstasy, bell-bottoms and glow sticks!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally I'm not quite sure what the draw of it is. I don't mind a few dub step songs dropped into a good house techno set, but I can't take more than a couple in a row. If you want to be technical about it, I think it's the change up in rhythm that if your on the substance of your choice, seems to intensify things. But like I said, I prefer house/trance over dub-step pretty much 95% of the time.

Guess I don't party as hard as some of the groups I hang out with. Who mix like 3 or more different substances at once, then go to these dub-step shows and say it's like having sex with Jesus and cookie monster from sesame street at the same time.

Anonymous said...

Limited chords, short repetitions, no vocals, zero creativity. Lets pray it dies an early death before every 14 year old with a Roland keyboard in his garage thinks he's famous.

Anonymous said...

I think this is not any worse that the NEW "Dance club Music" coming out now!

Joe said...

Jesus AND Cookie Monster? Wow.

DamnMouse72 said...

I really enjoyed the Rusko - Everyday track. That was pretty good! Yes, I agree..a song here and a song there, ok...but no more.
Anon 7:31 - "It's like having sex with Jesus and cookie monster".. FLMAO! Thanks for the smile!