Monday, June 14, 2010

PI Update: Production Coordinator



CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE
Lots of internet chatter out there today about what may be going on at Pleasure Island. First of all a followup to my previous story about Motion. You'll recall that all the banquet tables and chairs had been removed and the famous Motion DJ booth returned to the stage. Well there were several events in there. There was a private rental that I have no details of and there was that annual Pirate-themed party. I'm told that the Orlando Magic basketball team also rented the place for a post-season party. So it does appear that Motion is available for private rentals again! I'm not sure what event led to the DJ booth being placed up there but clearly there was a DJ dance party of some sort! Anyway, as you can see, banquet facilities were again being moved back into Motion and the DJ booth moved away. It's nice to know they still have the booth though!

Next comes word that Pleasure Island created a new job position called "Production Coordinator". And the position was filled fast! I hear (I hope I have the name and/or spelling right.) that someone named Marina who used to work upstairs in the booth at Mannequins during its final year got the job. What I haven't heard is what the position is all about. I hear lots of speculation ranging from simply coordinating entertainment on the island to coordinating the reopening of (outsourced) clubs to coordinating the replacement of Celebrate Tonight. If anyone knows or if I have the name wrong, please let me know.

Finally, I saw on the internet where Disney California Adventure has a new nightly event called Glowfest. This shows the potential of what Disney can do if it wants to because the CM dancers and Electronic Dance Music draw in the public. Could something like this be on board to replace Celebrate Tonight assuming no demolitions are forthcoming? DCA of course is a paid admission theme park whereas PI is free. But that doesn't mean a version of it wouldn't work on the island. Ironically, isn't this the kind of activity that PI was famous for back-in-the-day?

16 comments:

Jeni said...

Odd, not sure what to think of that. But I'd rather have something in the dead of PI than nothing.

Joe said...

Glowfest looks pretty trashy during the day, but it's pretty cool at night.

I miss the olden days of a nice PI street party (pre-ungated PI; without families and strollers)

Anonymous said...

It seems that Motion and the other two clubs 8trax & Manniquins are still there.
So hopefully they'll decide to clean the bars,sweep the dance floor and let PI Rock!!! for everybody.

zulemara said...

google results show David Russel has a daughter named marina. Not sure if there is any connection. David Russel is a director at SAK and his wife is a WSC player. hhhmmm

Anonymous said...

I am lost Zulemara? Sorry but what the Heck?

Joe said...

Haha...I knew exactly what Zulemara meant. :)

SAK is an Improv Comedy troupe in Orlando (think Comedy Warehouse).
http://www.sak.com/

WSC player is World Showcase Players.
It's a Comedy act at Epcot World Showcase (specifically UK).

Anonymous said...

Lets send Marina a letter informing her about this website and for her to take a look

Anonymous said...

Better yet, I know her.. Lets post her last name, her phone ext so all the crazy PI stalkers can call her up and ask her when the clubs are reopening.

All kidding aside... please lets try to keep her name off of this. She's still just an hourly employee.

KingBob said...

I only published a first name. There will be a few people who know her and thousands who don't. I'm one who does NOT although I've been told that if I saw her, I'd recognize her.

I doubt the people who know her are going to cause her any problems. But this is an open invitation to her if she sees this to contact me if she is willing (and allowed) to tell us readers anything.

Anonymous said...

I'm Jeanie still hoping the clubs will be fixed up and reopened.
So let's all keep pushing on this subject.

Anonymous said...

It is not prodution coordinator. She a production planner for entertainment. She was added to DEG staff to help with load of events. She has no pull to change or open any clubs. Not managment.

Anonymous said...

DEG?

Joe said...

DEG = Disney Event Group

They handle meeting/event support, specifically for entertainment stuff (lighting/rigging/decor/characters/actors/etc).

http://disneymeetings.disney.go.com/dwm/deg/detail?name=DEGPage

KingBob said...

Last year when I tried to rent Soundstage for a Mannequins Reunion, I dealt with the "Catering & Events" staff. Is C&E part of DEG? Or the other way around? Is Marina's job for all of DTD or just for PI?

Anonymous said...

Her job covers all of DTD and EPCOT.You dealt with the sales group DEG is all entertainment driven.

KingBob said...

Thank you.