Saturday, February 6, 2010

Club Reports: Bob Marley's & Red Coconut

Thursday night out at CityWalk, I actually wandered into Bob Marley's for awhile. There was a surprisingly large crowd already in there early, many doing the limbo around a small pile of purses. I don't like the outdoor setting, I don't like the Port-au-Prince slum ambiance and I don't like the music. That's probably why I rarely go in there. The club does not earn the KingBob seal of approval.

The Red Coconut Club was much better. DJ G-Clef was back upstairs in the booth spinning mostly Hip Hop with a some Top 40 mixed in. Never got crowded but never got empty either. They usually don't charge to get in on Thursday nights which in these economic times is a smart idea. The 1950's rat pack vibe in RCC has a classy feel to it too.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about Latin Quarter...any house music? How was the 80's band at The Groove? I am not a fan of Bob Marley's either...

KingBob said...

LQ was crowded and Leony did insert some House in there. He even played Tic Toc (Kei$ha)!

No band at The Groove. Band only on the 3rd Thursday night of each month. DJ Doc played a great mix of both 80's and 70's!

zulemara said...

I was in TG and it varied throughout the night on how busy it was. At one point most of the dance floor went up on the stage. Not sure if they were supposed to be up there since it's a VIP area, but no one stopped them.

I had a lot of fun and prefer when the dance floor is not packed. The fact that they can add 70s into the mix now makes it feel just like 8-trax, minus the fact that I can't go to mannequins when I want to. Seriously, hearing the grease mega mix followed by Dancing Queen(a classic 8-trax set) and then Last Dance at the end of the night brought back all kinds of great memories. I think I have found a new home on Thursday nights.

Ken said...

I love Bob Marleys and the outside atmosphere. I've spent many a night just groovin' to the reggae beat in the fresh air under the moonlight. Heck, a few weeks ago I was out there dancing in the rain around 1am - soaked and wet - having a blast with the other patrons who were also soaked and wet. As a regular observer at City Walk, I would have to give Bob Marleys the edge over the other clubs as far as long waiting lines to get in - it's very popular club with loyal, regular patrons.

KingBob said...

Bob Marley's is indeed popular. But as I basically indicated in the article, I have no use for it.