Friday, June 5, 2009

Club Report: Atlantic Dance





It was a disappointing night at Atlantic Dance Hall last night. A cavernous facility, unless you have at least 300 people in here, it feels empty. At it's peak I counted around 150 patrons and it never got hopping. The large expected crowd just never materialized; all the bodies which indicated they would be lining up at opening time must have found something else to do! And DJ Cruz just never delivered on the promised night of techno. I finally went to him and introduced myself and inquired about the Dance music promised by management. He told me that he had purchased a lot of new songs (with videos) just for the night but when the big groups never came, he didn't play them. I told him that there were a large number of people still there (that hadn't already departed!) that wanted it and he immediately put on 3-4 back-to-back techno songs but then reverted to his Top 40 and 80's mix. To be fair, DJ's at AD are obligated to play requests and the crowd that was there was requesting what he was spinning. So if you like a Motion/Groove mix, it was an ok night. If you came expecting a large crowd of dancers moving to techno, you went home sad :(

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thursday night not the best night. Plus I saw no Techno Larry in the crowd... that is very telling.

Anonymous said...

Yeah i left at 11pm very sad and dissapointed, its huge club and the oldschool hip hop wasent as good as i hoped for.

zulemara said...

we left shortly after 11 and went to P House. Lots of techno and dancing by the pool!

Anonymous said...

Stayed til the end. Had a great time despite the fact that he played very little techno. I requested 4-5 songs myself but was dumbfounded when he played Whitney Houston twice and Bon Jovi.

It's a great environment but the nightly music is the pits.

KingBob said...

Anon #1, Techno Larry moved to California about a year ago.

Anonymous said...

yeah i left at 11pm and whent to citywalk and got into the groove free and red coconut.

Anonymous said...

Bummer about Techno Larry, at first he was fodder for me and my drunken friend and I and after I got to know him, he's a great guy but still fodder for me and drunken friends.

That is what I miss about PI... we had nicknames for all the regulars...

The Hippie

Sushie

The Prancer

Boss Hogg

Etc....

KingBob said...

LOL......we had nicknames for all the regulars too!!!

Anonymous said...

king bob put a photo of ur self on here. :)

Anonymous said...

It all happened last night...Tony played the 9 o'clock intro plus alot of remixed hits. There were plenty of PI regulars and an EXCELLENT time was had by all. DJ Tony who works only friday nights always plays many more Mannequins type songs than the Saturday DJ.